Another year has passed and so I'd like to take a look what's been happening around here.
I blogged a lot more this past year than in year's past. I also undertook LibraryThing's 50 Book Reading Challenge (results of that effort will appear in another post). Also, I made the decision to self-publish my fantasy novel, The Five Elements. That decision included serializing the novel, chapter-by-chapter, on this blog; giving it away for free in PDF format; and selling it in eBook format through Amazon and Smashwords. Making sales and collecting reviews on retailers' sites remains a challenge. I do have some things planned for the upcoming year in this regard, but I'll save that for another post.
Moving on to some numbers, here are the most popular posts written in 2010 (along with the number of views for each and the post's placing with respect to all of the 360 or so posts currently on this blog):
- Publishing’s Big 6: Who are they? (3907, 15)
- Heinlein's Rules for Writing (1828, 54)
- Selling Your eBook Without a Publisher, Part 7: Lulu (1768, 57)
- Book Review: The Dying Earth by Jack Vance (1739, 59)
- Buy Me A Book (1718, 61)
- How long should it take to write a novel? (1559, 75)
- LibraryThing's 2010 Book Reading Challenge (1548, 78)
- Kindle: First Impressions (1401, 94)
- Book Review: The Alchemist's Code by Dave Duncan (1208, 123)
- Book Review: Lord of the Fire Lands by Dave Duncan (1066, 156)
I'm not surprised to see which post came out on top. My post on publishing's Big 6 was one whose view count I saw rise steadily. Also, the fact that three of the ten positions are held by book reviews is not surprising, either; I wrote quite a few book reviews in 2010.
Now, let's look at the most popular posts overall along with their view count:
- Tor Free E-books: The Complete List (12876)
- Book Review: The Soldier Son Trilogy by Robin Hobb (9718)
- Tor Free E-book: Old Man's War by John Scalzi (7872)
- eBook File Formats (6656)
- Has the fantasy genre become stagnant? (6635)
- Weekend Links - 7/3/08 (6519)
- Tor Free E-Book: Starfish by Peter Watts (6396)
- How Much Time Should Professional Writers Spend Blogging? (5813)
- Locus Online: 2007 Cover Art Gallery (5746)
- Recommended Reference - The Synonym Finder (5678)
Compared to last year's results, the top 2 positions remained the same. My post on eBook file formats, which was not in the top 10 at all last year (but which was #2 in views for the year itself), is now at #4. That post was also the only newcomer.
I'll close with some statistics (that are probably only of interest to myself):
- Total number of posts at EOY: 363 (at end of 2009: 219)
- Total number of posts written in 2010: 143 (at end of 2009: 64)
- Total number of views for all posts: 450,053 (at end of 2009: 209,863)
- Average posts/month: 11.9 (at end of 2009: 5.3)
- Book Reviews for 2010:
Although we're not quite done with 2010, I'm starting to wind down my attempt at reading 50 books. I'm about halfway through my current read, and then I might be able to finish one more book after that before 2011 is upon us.
Looking back, here's a list of some of my favorite reads over the past year.
[ Follow me on Twitter ]