I'm writing the next book in The Alchemancer series. It's called The Nullification Engine and should be out soon. As a way to keep readers updated on my progress and also so I can gauge the same, each week I take a look at my current writing progress and report it here. Also, I discuss some other areas revolving around the business side of things.
Outline & Worldbuilding
I outline heavily in order to keep the story moving in a pre-determined, planned direction. This doesn't mean, however, that the direction can't change when I'm actually writing. I wound up adding a new chapter as it became clear Ensel Rhe had one more task to perform. It ties in nicely and will give the reader some more insight in that dark, brooding character. This also means my overall word target increased to 155,000 (5,000 words estimated per chapter).
The other thing I did was added two new characters, namely a priest and a friend of Serena's.
There are no gods in my novels. The storyline goes that they destroyed one another way back when, leaving people to fend for themselves. So while various cults and such have risen up (many people still have faith of one sort or another), there is no organized religion. This priest, whose name is Father Vhakata, has the earl's ear. Needless to say, there is more to him than meets the eye.
The other character is Emily Stewart, a childhood acquaintance of Serena's. She plays no major role at this point, and in fact was only created as a way to relate more information to the reader about Serena's past, which really was not dealt with in great detail in The Five Elements where she was introduced. Serena gets the full treatment and more in this new novel. I have a feeling Emily's role will grow as well as the writing progresses.
You can view the complete list of characters for The Nullification Engine over on the World of Uhl site.
Nothing new to report except that I have a sketch out to my illustrator and he should be starting preliminary work tomorrow. I've commissioned him to illustrate a number of maps of which I'll discuss in the near future.
Let's get to the important stuff. I wrote 4,406 new words this past week. That breaks down to 629 words/day. Not very good and something I need to increase. Now that I'm done chopping wood, this should be a little easier, I think.
Here's my weekly data (the week ending 12/8 is a little skewed because I wasn't tracking progress before that):
|Date ||Current Word |
|Words Written ||Words/Day ||Words |
|12/1/2012 ||0 ||0 ||0 ||155,000 ||0.00%|
|12/8/2012 ||20,019 ||20,019 ||2,860 ||134,981 ||12.92%|
|12/15/2012 ||24,425 ||4,406 ||629 ||130,575 ||15.76%|
And the accompanying charts: