I'm writing the next book in The Alchemancer series. It's called The Nullification Engine and should be out soon. As a way to keep readers updated on my progress and also so I can gauge the same, each week I take a look at my current writing progress and report it here. Also, I discuss some other areas revolving around the business side of things.
Last week I was a little concerned that my mapmaker might have died or otherwise expired (undead, anyone?) because I hadn't gotten any responses from him in some weeks. Turns out his primary email was having some issues. All is well and he took care of the latest round of corrections on the world map of Uhl and the regional map for The Nullification Engine.
The world map is exactly what it sounds like and therefore "spans" all short stories and novels. The regional map actually encompasses a small part of the map from The Five Elements but expands to the north as that's the direction our heroes will be taking in this next installment.
I'll reveal the world map soon. The regional map for The Nullification Engine I'll have to hold onto until the novel is done. It's nice having it in hand now, though, because it makes it so much easier to refer to something in the text and know that it's set in concrete now.
The beginning of this past week started real good. I had a 2,000+ word day on Saturday followed by a 1,000+ word day on Sunday. I did ok from there as well, but then had to travel for work (day job) in the middle of the week. I'm setup to pretty much write from anywhere on either of my laptops (work and personal) since everything is sync'ed via Dropbox, but with it only being 2 days in a hotel and with other after-hours activities going on I didn't get much done in terms of actual 'words on the page' writing while I was away.
However, I did get some work done on the outline, which needed a little fine-tuning. it isn't unusual for me to tweak things as I go along even though the majority of the plot is planned out before I ever start writing. As long as the tweaks are minor then the train stays on the rails and, in fact, I wind up saving a lot of time on rewriting or even having to throw away words because I never write anything that isn't going to work or is extraneous. As part of these tweaks I also did some consolidation, so the chapter count is down to 28 from 30 now. That brings my estimated total word count for the whole novel to 140,000.
As for where I'm currently at, let's take a look.
|Date ||Current Word |
|Words Written ||Words/Day ||Words |
|% Complete |
|12/1/2012 ||0 ||0 ||0 ||140,000 ||0.00% |
|12/8/2012 ||20,019 ||20,019 ||3,337 ||119,981 ||14.30% |
|12/15/2012 ||24,425 ||4,406 ||734 ||115,575 ||17.45% |
|12/22/2012 ||30,027 ||5,602 ||934 ||109,973 ||21.45% |
|12/29/2012 ||32,059 ||2,032 ||339 ||107,941 ||22.90% |
|1/5/2013 ||34,757 ||2,698 ||450 ||105,243 ||24.83% |
|1/12/2013 ||38,923 ||4,166 ||694 ||101,077 ||27.80% |
|1/19/2013 ||44,503 ||5,580 ||930 ||95,497 ||31.79% |
|1/26/2013 ||49,628 ||5,125 ||854 ||90,372 ||35.45% |
|2/2/2013 ||52,073 ||2,445 ||408 ||87,927 ||37.20% |
|2/9/2013 ||56,503 ||4,430 ||738 ||83,497 ||40.36% |
|2/16/2013 ||62,161 ||5,658 ||943 ||77,839 ||44.40% |
|2/23/2013 ||68,213 ||6,052 ||1,009 ||71,787 ||48.72% |
|3/2/2013 ||74,552 ||6,339 ||1,057 ||65,448 ||53.25% |
|3/9/2013 ||77,757 ||3,205 ||534 ||62,243 ||55.54% |
I'm more than halfway done now with about 62,000 words to go. At 5,000 words per week, that's (unfortunately) another 3 months of writing.
Here's the graphs and I better get back to it.