Scott Marlowe, fantasy author

Scott Marlowe

Author of the Alchemancer and Assassin Without a Name fantasy series

Writing Update #6

This past week was an interesting one as far as my writing is concerned. I finally made the big decision to cut one of the supporting characters. I'd been thinking about this for some time, but it was a difficult decision because I liked the character. He provided some meaning to the overall storyline, too, but not enough that his part couldn't be supplemented here and there by others. So, he's gone.

That cut by itself removed about 7,000 words from my last week's total of 122,866. That along with some additional material needed to fill-in some of the resulting gaps brings me to a current total of 115,664. Still not down to the 110,000 I had determined I needed to get to, but a lot closer.

All of that kind of skews this past week's results. Here's the graph:

image

That puts me at a current editing page of 316, down from 329 last week (note the backward progress from that perspective), with 75 pages remaining. That's down 10 pages from last week, so some forward progress there.

Here's the completion percentage outlook:

image

I don't like that nearly flat line at the end.

Here's the bottom line: I dropped the total word count from 122,866 to 115,664, total pages went down from 414 to 391, and pages remaining to edit went down from 85 to 75. All told, not bad.

The game plan at this point is to continue moving forward. I had to reorder one scene, but that's nearly done. At some point, I'll have to go back and fix some of those scenes where the missing character is no longer there. I'll probably save that work for my second pass edit.

More next week.



Loading